The Chromatic Domains

The Unfortunate Mingling of Satyrs and Spears

Woken by the peeking of sunlight into the caverns, the party makes a small meal and prepares to continue the journey to Tief. Mere seconds after walking through the mouth of the cave, they were ambushed by bandits. Initially surprised, they took some hits, but had little trouble overall dealing with the problem. Somehow, Antinonco managed to restrain and pacify one of the bandits’ mastiffs. He renamed the dog Yacco and fashioned a leash for him with rope.

Setting off again (this time uninterrupted), the party came to a small village about an hour away. There they saw a couple people carting cabbages. Sephyr approached them and offered protective services to them. Initially unsure anyway, the man refused after the party warned him against agreement. Antinonco visited the butcher and purchased some meat for himself and Yacco.

Another two hours on the road produced a slightly larger town with a few shops. Antinonco looked for some leather to make some simple armor for Yacco. Sephyr went into a clothing store to see some not-so-appealing working clothes. The shopkeep was friendly and indicated that his sister, a dragonborn named Niri, who lived in Rivermist could probably point her in the direction of finer fabrics. During this, Shimazu stumbled upon Urin, the dwarf whose name was on the letter found in the possession of the orog in the caves. Delivery of the news seemed to deeply impact the dwarf, who thanked Shimazu and left solemnly.

Farther down the road, the path turned to the forest of Ithygra, the party hoping to stop in Rivermist for the night. After some time on the path, Antinonco began singing to pass the time. The music attracted two satyrs, who appeared to enjoy the music. Some conversation revealed that they enjoyed shadowgrass. After Udoka inquired, the satyrs agreed to share if Antinonco played more music. The dragonborn agreed and pulled out his dulcimer. The satyrs began dancing around as the other party members joined in. Sephyr also attempted to join in by tapping the end of her spear to the ground in time, but was very much inconsistent and off-beat. As one of the satyrs passed in his dancing, he kicked the spear from her grasp to stop the banging. In a strange and unfortunate bounce, the spear managed to embed itself in the satyr’s leg. Thinking Sephyr had attacked it, both satyrs immediately drew their swords. After a brief attempt at failed diplomacy, the satyrs were beaten down. One was stabbed through the back by Sephyr while the other was restrained by Antinonco at the brink of death. He was healed and released, running into the forest away from the party.

This sparked a discussion on why the satyrs attacked, as nobody except Sephyr had seen what happened, only that Sephyr’s spear protruded from one of their legs when they started fighting. Sephyr insisted that she would never use such a precious artifact for fighting. This claim was met with confusion and accusations, as she had certainly been fighting with the spear and using it as a tool. Sephyr then stated that she has no memory of ever using the spear. Udoka seized the spear and attempted to break it. Not only did she fail, but the attempt caused immense mental pain. While holding it, she also felt an indescribable purpose wash over her, as if it would influence her actions. While in pain, Sephyr wrestled the spear back. At this point, the rest of the party voiced their concerns with the existence of such an artifact in their party. The best they could convince Sephyr to do, however, was to wrap the spear up and place it in her pack.

They continued to move south slightly less comfortably now that they knew one of their party members might pose a threat to them. As they neared Rivermist, there were suddenly ambushed by a squadron consisting mostly of elves. The party apparently fit the description of some bandits that were reported around the northern edge of the forest (quite possibly the bandits slain earlier that day). They were relieved of their weapons and escorted to Rivermist. When one of the elves retrieved Sephyr’s spear, she reacted with near hostility. Before reaching that point, Udoka threw a heavy punch and knocked Sephyr out.

Unarmed and in the custody of the Ithygrian military, the party arrived in Rivermist. Just before entering detention, a tired-looking Gyliam showed up and vouched for their identities. The party was released and their weapons returned with the exception of Sephyr’s spear. The party had mentioned that the weapon was cursed, and so the elves wished to study it in isolation before leaving it with an unconscious dwarf. They stated that Sephyr would be able to recover her weapon as soon as she requested, however.

Udoka, now free to explore the city, went in search of a blacksmith. She found an aged Red elf smithing weapons in a variety of designs. She settled on purchasing a single-edged greatsword with a dark blue scabbard. The elf inquired about whether Udoka was an adventurer. Hearing that she was, the elf asked that Udoka and any in her party search for her lost sword. While travelling in the northwestern region of the forest, she was attacked by a large spider. She managed to fend it off, but it ran away with her sword still lodged in it. If they were successful, she would give them a protective cloak.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party exchanged some awkward words with Gyliam who indicated a good place to stay for the night. They parted and purchased rooms. Udoka returned with her new weapon and the elven smith’s offer. Though the general consensus was to ignore the offer due to their more pressing mission, they waited to make a decision until morning. Udoka had Sephyr tied up to prevent her from charging through the forest looking for her weapon, and everyone went to sleep.


Zunawe Zunawe

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.